menu

All teaching staff are made aware of the individual needs of each pupil.

ISI 2013

Geography

From Years 7 to 11 Geography is taught as a separate subject to every age group in the school by five teachers.

We have three dedicated Geography classrooms with data projectors and networked computers. They also have large tables to enable mapwork and group work to be completed easily. Two classrooms have interactive whiteboards. Class sizes are small which enables the teacher to maintain a purposeful atmosphere and give each pupil the individual attention they need. The courses also include off-site fieldwork trips to study the River Meavy (Year 7); Dartmoor (Year 8); the Eden Project (Year 9) and Exeter and Dawlish (GCSE).


Years 7 – 9: These years are intended to be fun and to engage our students in our fantastic subject. There are so many exciting topics to choose from and we regularly update our teaching. In Years 7 and 9, students have 80 minutes of Geography; in Year 8, they have 120 minutes. Each topic is concluded by an end of unit test. We start in Year 7 with an introductory course looking at mapskills and the local area before studying Settlement, Weather and Climate and Rivers.

In Year 8, we have just introduced a new topic on Dartmoor and it includes a day’s fieldwork visit to look at some of the aspects we cover in the classroom. Other topics include the UK; Cool Geography (cold environments) and Agriculture and Food.

In Year 9, students study some aspects of the vast topic of Africa, focussing on the types of ecosystems and the great diversity found on the continent; followed by Tectonics, which includes a homework project over the Christmas holidays to make an exploding model of a volcano.

There is a short unit on Rivers to conclude the year.

GCSE: We follow the AQA iGCSE course, which comprises of four theory units; culminating in two, 1 hour exams which together are worth 60% of the final mark. The units covered are either Contemporary Population Issues or Contemporary Issues in Urban Settlements; Contemporary Issues in Tourism; Ecosystems and Global Environments and Coastal Processes and Pressures. The other 40% of the final mark is made up of a Skills and Decision Making Exercise paper (1.5 hours); the latter half of which is based on pre-released material, published in the February of Year 11.

This year, we are trialling a curriculum enhancement trip to Northern Ireland to visit Belfast and the coast, including Giant’s Causeway.

All teaching staff are made aware of the individual needs of each pupil.

ISI 2013
back to top