menu

Pupils benefit from an extremely broad, balanced and flexible curriculum in both the prep and senior schools, and from an exceptional elite sports programme in the senior school as part of wide-ranging extra-curricular provision.

ISI 2013

Sport Baccalaureate

2015 & 2016  100% pass rate

The Sport Baccalaureate is both a practical and academic qualification with assessment by way of portfolio, assignment and presentation rather than traditional exams. This would be of particular interest to students who prefer this form of assessment rather than traditional examination based courses. 

Students should ideally have 5 GCSE passes at C grade or above, including English and Maths but those who do not quite meet this may still be accepted. A re-sit in English or Maths to obtain a C grade at GCSE can be taken alongside this course.

The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma is a long standing British qualification and is the equivalent of three full A levels.

This is a 2 year course built around a central qualification of a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (Outdoor Adventure). During the two years you will cover topics such as

• Fitness Training and Programming
  • Leadership in Sport
  • Sports Coaching
  • Adventurous sports
  • Health and Nutrition for athletes
  • Sports injuries

There are 20 modules taught over the two year period.  Each unit is be assessed by between 2 and 5 assignments allowing you to pace your work load throughout the 2 years.

However, the BTEC is only the start of the programme, during the two years you will be undertaking a number of additional, useful qualifications such as First Aid at Work, Pool Lifeguard and/or Beach Lifeguard and also complete the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award.

At the end of these 2 years you will have the same options as A Level students as over 95% of all UK Universities accept UCAS points from BTEC programmes. Many universities prefer students who have completed a BTEC course, as it is a better preparation for the style of learning at university. 

The BTEC does not limit you to a career in sport, as many of our former students have gone on to university to study areas such as business, marketing and nursing.  If you choose to look for work or take a gap year then the qualifications and experience you have gained during this course will set you in good stead to do this.

ISI 2013
back to top