menu

Plymouth College is the top swimming school in the country for the seventh year running

IE Today
100%

of all schools in the world wish they could work with Interactive Schools. Must be the fun fun fun fun we try to have all day

Meet the 10 Olympians from Plymouth College

At the Rio Games, Plymouth College is proud to have nine former student and one current student competing for medals. We have sent more athletes than any other school in the UK, representing eight nationalities including the United Kingdom.

Tom Daley

Age: 22

From: Plymouth

Sport: Diving

Represents: Team GB

Event(s): 10m platform individual and synchronised

Plymouth College Attendee: 2009 – 2012

Already securing a bronze medal with synchro diving partner Dan Goodfellow, Tom will now compete on Friday 19th August in the individual 10m platform heats. The semi-final will take place 20th August (3pm BST) with the final scheduled to start on the same day at 8.30pm (BST).

Tom took his GCSEs in small batches to fit around his diving commitments. He persuaded supermodel Kate Moss to pose for a recreation of an original portrait by David Hockney, as part of a GCSE photography project recreating great works of art, after meeting her on a photo shoot for the Italian version of Vogue. Tom obtained one A and eight A* grades in his GCSEs.

In 2012, Tom finished his two-year A-level studies in mathematics, Spanish and photography. He received an A* in his photography A-level, and an A in his Spanish and maths A-levels and then went on to compete in the London 2012 Olympic Games and winning a bronze in the Men’s 10m platform event.

Ruta Meilutyte

Age: 19

From: Kaunas

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Lithuania

Event(s): 100m breaststroke

Plymouth College Attendee: Current

Ruta made it through to the final of the women’s 100m breaststroke on Tuesday 9th August, and finished seventh.

At the age of 15 Ruta had already broken eleven Lithuanian swimming records and in 2012 won the gold medal in the women’s 100m breaststroke with a time of 1.05.47, becoming the youngest Lithuanian to win an Olympic gold medal. In the semi-final she broke the European record in the 100m breaststroke with a time of 1:05:21. At the age of 17 she was also the first and the only swimmer in history to win all the possible swimming titles in all age groups.

The swimming scholar is coached by Jon Rudd as part of the Plymouth Leander Swimming programme.

Ben Proud

Age: 21

From: London

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Team GB

Event(s): 50m freestyle and 100m freestyle

Plymouth College Attendee: 2012 – 2014

Ben made it into the Men’s 50m freestyle final and was against solid competition with the likes of Anthony Ervin and Nathan Adrian from the United States racing against him. Ben completed the race in an impressive 21.49 seconds, finishing fourth.

Ben Proud studied and trained with Plymouth College for two years before completing his studies and progressing on to a Sports Development and Coaching degree.

Julie Meynen

Age: 18

From: Luxembourg

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Luxembourg

Event(s): 100m freestyle and 50m freestyle

Julie competed in the 100m freestyle event on Wednesday 10th August. She posted a time of 55.09 seconds, bowing out during the heats. Julie’s second event saw her compete in the Women’s 50m freestyle recording a time of 25.12 seconds in the heat stages.

Paulina Schmiedel

Age: 23

From: Mulheim

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Germany

Event(s): 4 x 200m freestyle relay

Paulina finished seventh in the second heat of the 4 x 200m freestyle relay on Saturday 6th August, the final on the following day was won by the United States.

Jamila Lunkuse

Age: 19

From: Mengo

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Uganda

Event(s): 100m breastroke

Jamila finished eighth in her heat of the 100m breaststroke on Sunday 7th August.

Lara Butler

Age: 21

From: George Town

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Cayman Islands

Event(s): 100m breaststroke

Lara finished fifth in the second heat of the 100m breaststroke on Sunday 7th August.

Lara learned swimming aged five and started competing aged ten. Together with her brother Geoffrey she has competed at the 2010, 2014 and 2015 World Championships and at this year’s 2016 Summer Olympics.

Ahmad Attellesey

From: Libya

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Libya

Event(s): 50m freestyle

Ahmad narrowly missed out on qualifying for the semi-finals of the 50m freestyle on Thursday 11th August.

Jade Howard

Age: 21

From: Johannesburg, South Africa

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Zambia

Event(s): 100m freestyle

Jade competed in the 100m freestyle on Wednesday 10th August, finishing fourth in heat two and posting a time of 58.47 seconds.

Geoffrey Butler

Age: 20

From: George Town

Sport: Swimming

Represents: Cayman Islands

Event(s): 400m freestyle

Geoffrey bowed out during the heats of the 400m freestyle on Saturday 6th August. Together with his sister Lara he has competed at the 2010, 2014 and 2015 World Championships and at this year’s 2016 Summer Olympics.

"As one of the top swimming schools in the world we are naturally pleased to have so many former students out in Rio and believe it is a credit to the principle of the coaches and students’ commitment."

IE Today
100%

back to top